23 April 2012

STEAM BOAT @ RESTAURANT CHOONG HUAT - YULEK, CHERAS

The last time I had steamboat was during Chinese New Year reunion dinner with my family. My mom was the one who prepared the tasty herbal soup, aromatic chilies sauces, fried garlic oil and ensure sufficient fresh prawns, squids, sea cucumber, sea asparagus, assorted fish balls and greens are enough for our hungry tummies. And we truly enjoyed home cooked steamboat...Penang style.


Last weekend, a friend invited me and two others for a steamboat dinner. We arrived Restaurant Choong Huat at about 7pm and few families were seen started their indulgence in an open air concept.

Shortly after seated, we were given a two page menu and made a quick order i.e.steamboat for two pax (there were four of us), a plate of grilled stringray and 4 BBQ chicken wings.


Two types of chillies sauce for dipping + fried onion oil
Being a Penangite (and always), I love using/adding lots of fried garlic oil in my cooking especially soup to enhance taste and flavour. As expected, this restaurant (and others too) don't have what I asked for and I was a little disappointed!




 
portion for 2 pax  @ RM15.80 pp

herbal + tom yam soup
When this pot of hot bubbling soup was place on our table, I didn't except the herbal soup in brown colour. My friend jokingly said that it might be bah kut teh soup. Upon sipping, we can't smell/taste the presence of any herbs at all...adding fried onion sauce did not even lift up the soup taste!  As for the tom yam broth, nothing to shout about.


BBQ Chicken Wings (RM2 each)
not charred  enough but still good



Grilled Stringray (RM19)
although it look quite dried on the surface but overall it was decent...fleshy meat and slightly burnt crackling skin. just eat this  without dipping the bland red chillies sauce.

Overall, I don't really enjoy the food heree BUT I must admit my friends and our hilarious jokes made up the wonderful night.



ADDRESS
Restaurant Choong Huat

22-23, Block P/E, Tmn Cheras,
56100 Kuala Lumpur
03-9131 1975







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails

FOLLOW ME!!!

SUBSCRIBE

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

ARCHIVES

I SPREAD MY WINGS & FLY TO...

I SPREAD MY WINGS & FLY TO...
Lamma Island, Hong Kong

Bandung, Indonesia

Angkor Wat, Cambodia

Hatyai, Thailand

Shenzen, China

Macau, China

Taipei, Taiwan

Universal Studio,Singapore

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Bangkok & Pattaya

South Korea

Makati, Philippines

SAN FRANCISCO

HOLLYWOOD, USA

Total Pageviews

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker